Sunday, July 3, 2011

The bigger they come, the harder they fall

Wainui earned a two all draw against Marist in The Football Central Premier League having lead by two goals that came from Paul Wood and Ewan Barclay.  Not the result that was needed but the race to avoid relegation is still on.  I couldn't make it out to the match as I answered the call from The Undertakers who were struggling for numbers.

It was good to get a chance to put the Wainui strip on again but I was glad to be on the bench as we were coming up against the league leaders Petone Chicago.  From what I saw in Petones warm up I was glad that I would be last sub aswell, these guys look pretty onto it I thought. 

Clayton Messenger had other ideas though as he slotted the ball home at the second attempt, Scott Auty had a great chance cleared off the line and The Undertakers, lead from Midfield by Marcel Brunner, totally outplayed the league leaders. 

I managed to get on for the last 20 minutes and miss a couple of great chances, if only I had a left foot, but everybody dug deep and defended well to keep Petone out.  There was a lot of Irish lads playing for Petone and for me personally it was good to get one over them because they did have some good players in their midst.  Although after one of the Irish lads took me out of the game with a 'blatant' foul I don't think I'll be heading to his pub in town for a pint any time soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment